June 1, 2007

update

After some gentle urging from an adoring fan, a quick update, although not much of interest has happened.

I've been working carefully on two projects, a new ligand synthesis, and isolating some final compounds for what I hope will soon become a complete body of work, ready to be written up and published.

The new ligand synthesis is slow, as stated before its only useful solubility is in pyridine, and once the deprotonation is accomplished it is no longer soluble in this either. After trying to get the arms on the ligand it resolublizes, but only to show in NMR that the deprotonation was not complete, even after overnight sonication. The solution in this case is the cook it good and hard for a couple days. So that is where my NMR tube sits right now, trying to deprotonate the starting material, bathed in 120C oil, bumping away.

The other final synthesis I have been messing with has been postponed until I can completely purify the starting materials. Its this kind of fervid obsession with purity is probably the cause of most OCD which chemists experience outside of the lab. For instance, I am constantly skeptical that the dish washer we have actually gets the dishes clean. This is a manifestation of a fear that my lab mates simply rinse their glassware and place it on the drying rack, which requires me to wash every piece of glassware I use thoroughly before I use it, even if I pull it right out of the drawer.

Some of the booted material has gone from red to deep blue-green, and partially soluble in hexane. I've thrown together some crystallization chambers to see what's really in there after my stuff hits the air. One is a slow evaporation of a saturated hexanes solution, the other is a vapor diffusion of hexanes into a nearly saturated THF solution.

On the positive side of things, the lab has acquired a wiffle bat and some wiffle balls. The good weather and large lawn outside the chemistry hall has drawn us out on several occasions to take our frustrations out on each other in a non-deconstructive manner. I highly recommend this for graduate students everywhere.

No comments: