December 5, 2007

Harry Potter

Towards the end of the semester is notebook check time for those lucky TA's who happen to be teaching organic chemistry. Labmate Mark is one such lucky duck. I held the door open for him as he walked in with a stack of about 30 notebooks of various sizes and shapes. One notebook in particular caught my eye, as it had gold edging on it. After Mark set the notebooks down on his desk, I picked up the gold-edged notebook to have a better look. It was a Hogwarts School notebook replete with all the appropriate Harry Potter insignia and crazy little fake medieval pictrograms. This particular notebook was from the Gryffindor house. At this point I was impressed with this students dedication to her fantasy niche, but the icing on the cake came when I flipped to the front of the book to see the name. I'm omitting the actual name to spare further embarrassment if this person ever grows up.

Jane Doe, aspiring wizard
Gryffindor House, 2nd Year
Potions Class, section AC

After all this snickering I do have to admit that this girls notebook was immaculate, probably the best kept notebook in the section. If you need to pretend that you're a student wizard to maintain your interest in organic chemistry, then I guess that's just fine with me.

No comments: