February 10, 2008

glassy toluene

Well, the blue crystals didn't diffract. That's not the current problem though.

I'm trying to do low temperature NMR with deuterium enriched samples. This requires adding and removing H2, HD, or D2 gas from a sample in an NMR tube in succession by doing repetitions of degassing. Essentially you remove gas dissolved in a liquid sample by removing the gas in the headspace of the sample, which draws out gas in solution into the headspace. To prevent the solvent from evaporating you need to have it frozen.

The solvent is toluene, which freezes at about -90 C. To degass it you need to freeze it in liquid nitrogen (temperature about -200 C). The quirk is that toluene forms a glass initially when forming a solid and then "cracks" as it cools further. As it cools the solid shrinks, forming a good amount of pressure on the inside, which isn't as cold as the outside closer to the liquid nitrogen. This pressure comes to a head with a loud crack that sounds like breaking glass. Since the toluene is in a glass tube, this makes for some scary moments as your degassing. The toluene in my tube cracked several times, but I was doing a lot of cycles, so I got complacent, and I was just getting to the end of the deuteration, the toluene crack shocked the glass too much and that was the end of that.

That mistake sent me back about four days. I supposed I needed to make some new starting material anyway, but I was hoping to bang out that one last good result.