August 16, 2008

colors and technological needs

My chemistry has turned away from iridium towards cobalt. This means cheaper starting materials and harder characterizations, but it also means a whole new spectrum of colors. I've been getting some really nice blues and greens, some of which are even new products. I made a pretty wierd two coordinate cobalt bis-amide complex which was initially a dark black mess. A little sublimation however, cleaned that right up to a bright green color.

Usually I would have a photo here so that you could enjoy this coloration with me, but I haven't been able to fanagle the camera from home. I think I could benifit greatly from a cheap used camera bought off ebay which I could keep in the lab. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate a camera as cheaply as I'd like which will still take decent quality pictures.

I guess for now you'll just have to trust me that the colors are as nice as I say they are.

No comments: