October 4, 2008

Soxhlet success!

The extractor did wonderfully. The green substance from a couple posts ago was much less pure than I had hoped, consisting mostly of a blue substance (identity yet unknown, but not starting material.) There are three pretty distinct colors here, the yellow substance in the top sample tube is the desired product. The bottom tube is the mystery blue compound. I feel like I should spend a little time figuring out what this is so that I can avoid making it in the future. The middle tube is the original sample from the crude mix, composed of both compounds. I forget whether or not I had claimed the green compound in my color checklist, but if I did, it was unwarranted. Instead, I have made a yellow compound (which I can claim) and a blue compound (which I am not claiming yet as it is not properly identified.)

No comments: