January 28, 2009

Reike Cobalt

Co is apparently ferromagnetic. Who knew? Not me, until I talked to one of the students from the lab downstairs. Dunno why it was so surprising, on the surface I was thinking that iron was the only ferromagnetic material. I knew this wasn't true already though, because I've used gadolinium before and we also have a number of neodymium magnets in the lab. Silly silly silly.

This came about while trying to make finely divided cobalt powder in the same manner that Rieke Mg is synthesized. Whether this actually produced Reike Co or not is not certain, but it certainly didn't work for what I wanted it to. I did not spend a whole lot of time sorting out the rubble, but I did notice the Co particles lining up on the magnetic field lines of the stir bar. Weird.

No comments: