February 18, 2009

Grignard in the sonicator

One last trick for this *%$&ing Grignard reaction. Sonication is sometimes used to activate the magnesium surface. Ultra-high frequency sound waves are pulsed in a small pool of water. The reaction vessel is submerged in the water and the sound waves cause small bubbles on the surface of the magnesium. These bubles collapse with considerable localized force, and in an ideal situation, activate the surface of the metal. I'll cut to the chase and mention that this did not work either, frustrating me to no end. I am done with Victor Grignard and his ways.

Just because I am giving up on the Grignard reaction and Rieke magnesium does not mean I am admitting defeat here. The magnesium complex was never an object of attainment, merely a means to an end. The object is to get cobalt on the ligand in a high-yielding manner under reasonable reaction conditions; I simply need to try new means to achieve my end. Next up? We run kitty-corner on the periodic table and pound the ligand with a little lithium.

No comments: