May 11, 2007

steady progress

I did get my line back from the glassblower and in fine condition. I reset all the clamps and got the pump oil warmed back up. All the pins are greased, the inert gas manifold now has an inlet and an outlet at the opposite end (as it should) and a shiny new Hg bubbler/monometer vented (through a sulfur trap of course) up into the hood. Proffesor Heller was not particularly pleased about the Hg, and pointed out (rather after the fact) that we had some stop-flow valves in the lab for that purpose, but I don't have a port for a pressure gauge, nor do I really want one, so the Hg monometer still serves some purpose. Enjoy this picture of my hood, and notice that this is as clean as its ever going to be for the rest of existance. The line is repaired, the inside is clean from when the sash was fixed. (Those stains are happy accidents of years gone by.) A fix on the fridge is in the works and soon my chemistry might even start to work again. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: