October 24, 2007

More crystals, and a picture

As per recent comments... no, the lab does not have a camera. When pictures appear it is only because I happened to have my camera with me what a particularly photo-worthy event was happening in the lab. If I ever continue the saga of the Ir recycling there are more pictures which go with that. I must admit the whole process was so frustrating I'd rather not relive it, but perhaps... someday...

In the meantime... In a previous post I displayed the raw difraction data from a crystal I had grown. It was difficult to tell that this crystal was of poor quality just from the picture, but it was. I have grown the same crystal via another method and this is of much better quality. I'm including the diffraction pattern of this one to show how much better it is than the one previous. (A clue: those big white dots means that the diffraction of the crystal is better.)

X-ray quality crystals were grown from a slow evaporation of a THF solution under Argon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.