January 22, 2008

consecutive good news

Well more crystals to the X-ray lab yesterday. The crystallographer was rather optomistic in spite of what I thought were pretty poor crystals. Apparently he found one that he liked out of the bunch that I brought him. Perhaps it'll actually turn out. The diffraction pattern for one position is below. I also thought I would include the photo (black, white, grainy as it is) from the alignment camera. You can barely make out the mounting filament in the bottom of the picture. To give an idea about scale, the mounting filament is about the size of a human hair.




In other good news, Professor Heller found a taker for the remnants of the paper that was rejected. This means I'll get buried on the author list somewhere, but if I get some more work done on it, perhaps I won't get buried too far. The rest of the work is pretty straightforward so hopefully I'll be able to wrap it up quickly.

The caveat here is that nothing is really straightforward. Heller enjoys reminding us "if it were all that easy someone else would have done it already."

No comments: